Tuesday, April 13, 2010

a letter a week

With two Mexican vacations planned for January and February, I needed to organize art materials to take with me that wouldn't fill my carry-on.  I always write a trip journal while I am away but there are times in the evenings when I like to relax and do some lettering or w.h.y. 

At the same time as I was reading the book "Ella Minnow Pea" by Mark Dunn - a progressively lipogrammatic epistolary fable or so he says, I came across Gemma Black's challenge of doing a letter a week for the next 52 weeks. 

http://canberragem.blogspot.com/2010_01_01_archive.html

Perfect! small projects wouldn't take up much room and the tools needed would be able to fit in one of my  tool pouches from Paper and Ink Arts.    http://www.paperinkarts.com/shop.html  I was to find later that this pouch of pens and pencils, etc would attract a lot of attention each time it went through a security scanner!  I could work along with the letter a week project and work in a journal and have something portable to take with me on the plane. 

Here are some of my letters so far - photos rather than scans as I have yet to replace my scanner that is not compatible with Windows 7, but that's a whole other story. Oh, and what did the book have to do with the letter project?! I decided to do my letters in the same order that they disappeared in the book.  They will not likely show here in the same order as the book... I have to figure out how to move photos around in here.



Looks like I could use some Photoshop lessons to get rid of the shadows... but there you have them, some of my letters so far.  Yes, a bit of a theme going on. Maybe I'll grow out of the phase before the end of the alphabet!

3 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

Love your letters! They are so lively!

Unknown said...

Wow, Bev ... I love these! I need to do this myself. A great goal!

Bev said...

Thanks! I didn't know if I could commit to doing them on Gemma's schedule but I have had a great time working away at them when I get a chance.